If you are experiencing an abscessed tooth, then it is likely that a pocket of pus has formed around or under your infected gum or tooth. Often this occurs when a cavity is not treated at all or properly. The following list will explore home remedies for abscess tooth so that you can alleviate your pain until you get the chance to see a dentist.
Tooth abscesses can be extremely painful — and so you’ll need to make an appointment with a trusted dental professional as soon as you can. But as you wait for your scheduled appointment, there are several natural home remedies for abscess tooth issues that you can deploy so that you experience less pain.
Read on to get our top 10 expert home remedies for abscess tooth situations — and begin feeling better almost immediately. Here’s how you can get started right away:
10 Best Home Remedies for Abscess Tooth to Reduce Your Pain
Remedy #1: Potato Wedge
Potatoes help to heal infection because they are rich in vitamins, potassium, zinc, calcium and fiber. They also work best if applied raw.
- Peel a raw, washed potato and slice into fourths.
- Place a quater slice against your inside cheek and pressed up to the infected area.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat.
Remedy #2: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar acts as a natural disinfectant for your mouth. It also works to reduce swelling in your gum area.
- Boil two cups of water.
- Add four teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Swish the mixture in your mouth.
- Repeat three times every day.
Remedy #3: Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are known for the ability to fight bacterial infections.
- Boil a cup of water and throw in four teaspoons of sesame seeds.
- Allow the water to cool slightly.
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and press on the infected tooth or gum.
Remedy #4: Baking Soda
Baking soda has the unique ability to raise the pH in your mouth to a normal reading, thereby lowering the acidic level and naturally cleaning your teeth and gums.
- In a bowl, mix together a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and baking soda.
- Add a few droplets of water to create a paste.
- Dab the paste on the area that is hurting or swelling.
- Repeat as needed throughout the day.
Remedy #5: Garlic
Garlic is a wonderful, natural home remedy that acts as an antibiotic for your entire body because it fights bacteria with its sulfuric ingredients.
- Throw five to 10 cloves of peeled garlic into a blender.
- Pulse until the garlic forms a paste.
- Add a cup of water and continue pulsing.
- Heat the garlic water mixture until just before it boils.
- Gargle with the mixture two to three times throughout the day for about 30 seconds.
Remedy #6: Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is a natural anti-bacterial treatment that helps to heal infected areas and will boost your immune system.
- Pour a little oregano oil in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball into the oil.
- Gently press the infected area and massage.
- Swish warm water around in your mouth and repeat the process.
Remedy #7: Tea Bag
By using an herbal tea bag as a hot or cold compress, you’ll clean your tooth and usher in pain relief. That’s because tea contains an ingredient called tannin, which acts as a natural cleanser.
- Place a tea bag in a mug of hot water or ice cold water, depending on what you feel like.
- Gently squeeze the water out of the tea bag and apply to your tooth or gum area.
- Repeat as needed.
Remedy #8: Steamy Salt Wash
Preparing a salt-water gargle is a soothing treatment that helps to reduce pain and the inflammation around your gums.
- Heat two cups of water in a mug or small pot.
- Add a teaspoon of unrefined sea salt and allow it to dissolve.
- Swish the solution in your mouth for 20 seconds and repeat.
Remedy #9: Clove Oil
Clove oil is one of the home remedies for abscess tooth issues that is anti-fungal and help to kill bacteria around your teeth and gums.
- Drop 3-5 droplets of clove oil on your toothbrush.
- Gently brush the tooth or gums that are infected, making sure not to apply a lot of pressure.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat if necessary.
Remedy #10: Plantain Leaves
the leaves of plantains are great natural greenery that can naturally relieve swelling an pain.
- Wash and crush plantain leaves.
- Allow the leaves to sit and wilt for a few minutes.
- Apply to your infected area and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process two or three times a day.
In conclusion, if you have a painful tooth abscess, then you need to get professional help as soon as possible because your dentist will need to drain the pus that is trapped beneath your tooth or gum.
But you can deploy these top 10 home remedies for abscess tooth issues so that you are more comfortable as you wait for treatment. Your goal in doing these home remedies for abscess tooth issues is to manage the pain you are feeling.
If you use one of our home remedies for abscess tooth issues and find relief, would you let us know? Leave us a comment in the section below and tell us what you did and how long your pain was alleviated. We hope you feel pain-free soon!
Images taken from depositphotos.com.