The process of having a root canal can be a painful experience. Most dentists use this procedure to repair a tooth that has succumbed to some serious infection within it s pulp. The downside to this procedure is that it essentially destroys the tooth leaving only an outer shell that becomes more prone to being lost in the future. So it is understandable why people want to learn how to prevent root canal.
Since tooth decay is cause by bacteria, one way to avoid a need for a root canal is to prevent cavities. Many people seek natural methods that they can use at home in lieu of chemical based medicines. This article gives you some home remedies to help show you how to prevent root canal procedures naturally.
5 Ways How to Prevent Root Canal Procedures Naturally
Clove has been used for many, many years to prevent dental issues and find relief from oral pain. This is because not only does it temporarily numb pain with its analgesic qualities, but it also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. The key here is its antibacterial quality. When trying to find out how to avoid root canal procedures, reducing bacteria is important.
How to Apply:
- Take one quarter teaspoon of sesame seed oil. Add 3 drops of clove oil to it. Dab the solution over your teeth using a cotton swab. Use this remedy nightly before bed to minimize bacteria production as you sleep.
- Another way to use clove is to chew whole cloves so that the oil is extracted onto your teeth.
Precautions: Do not use clove in excessive amounts. It may cause tissue damage and irritation. Also, if you are on medications that slow blood clotting, clove should not be used because clove also has the ability to slow blood clotting because it contains a naturally occurring chemical called Eugenol. This can result in excessive bruising and bleeding.
Salt is another effective means to controlling tooth decay when looking into how to prevent root canal procedures. Moreover, salt has great antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It also has anti-inflammatory qualities, can reduce pain, and has the ability to pull out any infection that has already settled in the root of your tooth. It also prevents bacteria from reproducing within your mouth.
How to Apply:
- Take one cup of lukewarm water and dissolve 1 teaspoon of household table salt in it. Gently swish the solution by the mouthful for about 60 seconds. Concentrate the solution over a specific tooth if you suspect a cavity is forming. This treatment can be used up to 3 times per day.
- Another method is to create a paste using half teaspoon of salt mixed with a drop or two of either mustard oil or lemon juice. You can use this paste up to twice daily to help kill bacteria. Just rub it into your gums lightly for a minute or two.
3. Oil of Oregano
Oregano has naturally occurring antiseptic qualities. In 2008, oregano was found to contain a compound that is very effective against microbe and bacterial production.
How to Apply:
- To use this prevention remedy when looking for how to prevent root canal procedures, dab a drop or two onto a toothbrush and gently brush your teeth with it. Use this remedy once a day to help stop bacterial growth.
- Used in small amounts, oregano is considered safe. Avoid ingesting oregano in large amounts if you are pregnant as it is thought to possibly cause miscarriage.
- This remedy may cause upset stomach in some.
- It may also cause an increase in bleeding in those who have bleeding disorders. Thus, if you are going to undergo surgery, you should stop the oregano use about 2 weeks prior.
- Oregano may lower blood sugar. Those with diabetes should exercise caution.
- Any with allergies to certain herbs such as sage, mints, or basil may get an allergic reaction from oregano.
- Do not use if you are taking lithium as it can cause serious side effects.
Remedy 4: Xylitol
Xylitol can be found in many products as a natural sweetener because it is unlike sugar. Consequently, it does not convert into acid that causes tooth decay. It is a naturally occurring alcohol found in many plant fibers. Use of Xylitol can help cure tooth decay and help stop cavities from forming. It is able to do so because it helps stop bacteria found in the mouth from giving off decay causing acids. It also coats the teeth making it more difficult for teeth to find a safe hiding spot.
How to Apply:
- Xylitol is recognized for its terrific dental care qualities. When looking into how to prevent root canal procedures, you may come across this option. You can find Xylitol in toothpastes, oral rinses, and teeth wipes. You can use this several times a day along with, or as your regular dental care routine.
Licorice can be found in many Chinese herbal therapies and remedies. Mostly, licorice has the ability to neutralize bacteria found in the mouth which in turn prevents tooth decay from occurring. It is also helpful in preventing bad breath, viral infection, and colds.
How to Apply:
- Gather some licorice leaves and boil them in 2 cups of distilled water. After boiling for a few minutes, remove the liquid from the heat and add 2 teaspoons of agar agar. For added benefit and flavor, add a few drops of peppermint oil. Let the liquid cool. It should become gel like in consistency.
- You can use this gel to brush with daily to help prevent decay and promote good oral health.
- Do not use licorice if you are currently taking Warfarin as it may diminish its effectiveness.
To Sum It Up
Oral health is important in the prevention of decay caused by bacteria that can lead to needing a root canal. If you try to find information on how to prevent root canal procedures and come across this list, hopefully some of these more natural remedies are of assistance.
What remedies have you used to maintain a healthy mouth and avoid root canals? Leave any helpful comments in the section below.